Re: RPM drop

Subject: Re: RPM drop
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:47:35 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 Dwgwater@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-11-21 10:21:43 EST, redlotus@spacey.net writes:
>
> << This is similar to my car. I think all cars that use non-roller
>  > > (graphite) throwout bushings suffer from this.
>  > >
>  > >   For the same reason, you get faster starts in neutral with
>  > > the clutch out rather than in. And for related reasons, don't
>  > > sit at stop lights with the clutch in >>
>
> Can someone please run this one by me again?  The clutch throwout bearing
> puts more load on the engine than turning the trans in neutral(even with cold
> trans oil)?  Even though I replaced a clutch in a 69 Midget many years ago, I
> don't really understand how they work (beyond push the pedal and the clutch
> disengages), but I find it hard to believe that anyone, even the British,
> would design a "bearing" that puts that amount of drag on the system.  I've
> also never noticed the same effect on any other car.  I did notice the slower
> cranking speed with the pedal depressed in my 70 Midget, but after checking
> ground straps, I blamed it on evil gremlins and Lucas.
>
> dave groundwater

My car showed the same effect.
The effect is gone with the 5-speed that has a real bearing.
So I guess it really is due to the graphite bearing.

While on the subject, I read that the graphite bearing and the clutch disk
wear at approx. the same rate, keeping clutch play constant throughout its
life!  Pretty slick!
How bad does that british design sound now?

                                                           '67 Sprite