Re: Dare we hope?

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Dare we hope?
From: James D Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:06:28 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Eric Mumford <mumford@rpi.edu>, b-evans@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Frank Clarici wrote:

> Auto makers will try anything to meet the nostalgia buffs out there.
> Dodge Viper, Plymouth Prowler, useless cars but way cool!
> What about the new Chevy Impala, Everything the old one was but modern.
> (Amy jump in any time) Amy Turner has a new Impala. Classic American iron in
> a new wrapper.

In this age of everything old is new again (according to automakers) I
really wouldn't call the Caprice Classic er Impala classic american
iron. Rather Chevy's half hearted rebadging attempt at classic american
iron. I mean a digtal dash come on. Didn't those go out with '87
Cavaliers?
I will say this, at least something halfway decent came out of that
abomination of a car, the Caprice.
Just saw the "new" Impala (1999). It's based on a
streched Lumina platform, standard v-6, and fancy alloy wheels... sounds
like a thrilling car don't it? Me thinks GM wants those cop car sales back
that it lost when it dropped the Capricious. Give a car an old name,
some fancy badging, ground effects, chrome rims and huge low profile
tires and viola Chevy's current mindset. Monte Carlo, Malibu,
Impala, Roadmaster, personally I'm waiting for the return of the Corvair
although I'd settle for a Vega.

Put SS on anything and someone will buy it,
Jim Rowan
60 Sprite