RE: Sprite movie sighting

To: "'Amy Turner'" <ltturner@cococo.net>
Subject: RE: Sprite movie sighting
From: Skip Tannen <Tannen@googolbox.babson.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:08:30 -0500
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Amy,

I remember finding out about this movie, but I never saw it in any of my
area theaters!  Didn't know it even came out!  Here's what I know, for
what it's worth:

The movie was set on Martha's Vineyard Island in Massachusetts - I knew
about it because I happened to be on the island during the summer of
'95.  My girlfriend and I were tooling around Vineyard Haven (in my '65
Sprite, of course!) and we stopped because a huge crowd had formed off
the main street.  Turned out that Kevin Bacon was walking around with a
film crew scouting out the area!  From what eveyone said, he was getting
ready to shoot the film "Losing Chase".  Question for you - was he in
it, did he direct it, or did he bail out of the project?

Anyway, on to the details of the Sprite.  I have been going to the
Vineyard for years, and I always see that red Sprite around Vineyard
Haven and Oak Bluffs.  It's owned by a local, but I have yet to find the
owner and talk to him or her.  It's always parked when I see it, and the
people I ask don't know who owns it.  It's a pretty solid looking driver
- looks mostly original and looks like a Mark III.  It's not too badly
abused, but it's clear that the owner is more into it for fun
transportation than anything else.  There was very little rust, the
paint was pretty badly faded (lot's o' salt air and red paint is a bad
combination) and the interior wasn't much to speak of.  In fact, I don't
think I've ever seen it with the hood on!  With all that said, I would
still trade any old Jeep for that car if I were living on the Vineyard!

Well, that's all I know - but it was pretty neat to see a movie star
walking around Martha's Vineyard and find out that they were using
locals in the film.  And when I first heard (on the British-Cars list)
that the movie was announced and that there was a Sprite in it, I knew
that it had to be that red square-body!

Skip Tannen