Re: Cut The Tunnel?

To: "Brian Evans" <brian@uunet.ca>, "Chuck Ciaffone" <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Cut The Tunnel?
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 21:33:46 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Brian -  just my personal opinion, but I like having an access panel in the
bottom of my Midget.  I didn't come up with the idea.  When I bought the
car, there was already a hole there.  It was roughly done, so I trimmed it
up to be a rectangle with rounded corners and made a cover plate for it.
I've only used it twice to install the driveshaft, but I use it every 2500
miles to lubricate the front u-joint.  When I lubricate the u-joints, it's
convenient to be able to do them both from under the car.  I think the
little 1" diameter hole in the side of the tunnel for greasing the front
u-joint is useless because it is down between the seat pan and the tunnel.
 Not only that, but using any part of the upper tunnel for access,  I would
have to pull up the carpet.   Your statements about the load paths are
correct; hoever, as far as weakening the structure,  my 4 x 5 hole has been
there since 1987 without any problems.  The cover plate helps carry the
load.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt."  -- Mark Twain