Re: Silicon switch-over DON'T DO IT!!!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Silicon switch-over DON'T DO IT!!!
From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 09:20:41 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

>Most users had Christopher Palmer's experience...(I wonder if Christopher may
>have gotten some old fluid.)

I got the stuff Moss was selling not more than a couple years ago.

>Did both calipers leak or just one?
Both leaked.  Strangely, the wheel cylinders ('factory' rebuilt) have shown
no signs of leaking.

>Were the calipers split during the rebuild, or were they done with the
>calipers intact?  Were there leaks anywhere else?
I don't know if the calipers were split, but there were no signs of leakage
from the joint.  It appeared to have all come from around the pistons.

To fix all of this, I took the calipers off the car, removed the pistons
and seals, cleaned out the calipers as best I could, did not split them,
put in Girling seals using Lockheeds red grease and reinstalled the same
pistons, put them back on the car and filled the M/C with DOT 3 or 4 (I
forget which right now) and pumped until I got clean fluid, then bled all 4
corners.  The car sits for a week or 2 at a time, and I'm happy to report
that there has been ZERO leakage, either at rest or under braking pressure.

CTP