RE: Silicon switch-over DON'T DO IT!!!

To: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Subject: RE: Silicon switch-over DON'T DO IT!!!
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 08:22:42 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

>If silicone fluid is so touchy/nasty, why does the military specify it
>(particularly given the range of extreme conditions they operate in)?
> Ditto with racers?

As a racer, I don't know of anyone who uses silicon fluid.  I use normal
550deg fuild from the local store - nothing special, and I change it every
two seasons and bleed every couple of races.  When I bleed the brakes, I
flush at least two fills of the master cylinder reservoir thruough, so maybe
I am changing all the fluid then!  Others who upgrade use dedicated racing
fluid from AP, or similar.  No one I know uses silicone, largely because of
the pedal softness problem.

Brian