Front suspensions

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Front suspensions
From: "Hal Cummings"<halc@mazda.genauto.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 98 10:10:57 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     Hi folks!

     I'm a new subscriber, and have enjoyed reading postings here for a
     couple of days now.

     I have a question concerning aligning front ends after a suspension
     overhaul.

     I restored my Midget (71 1275) including a complete teardown/rebuild.
     This included all new front suspension components, excepting the rack,
     collumn and steering wheel.  While reassembling the front suspension,
     I put the rack in what I thought was dead center position, and set the
     tie rod ends so that the front wheels were as close to parallel with
     the rears (1/8" toe in) as I could measure.  This was done while the
     car was still "off it's feet".

     After driving for about 5K miles now, I notice a measurable amount of
     wear on the inside tracks of the front tires.

     Is there a trick to this? Where this is the only adjustment on the
     suspension geometry,  I had thought it simple enough not to bother
     with an alignment shop.

     I bought this car from the original owner, and it has never been hit
     hard enough to leave any trace.  It has original sheetmetal throughout
     and very little damage other than parking lot dings and battery acid
     holes was evident after stripping the entire car to bare metal.  I
     therefore do not think the chassis is bent.

     Any advice cheerfully accepted!

     Hal

     halc@genauto.com