Re: Front suspensions

To: Hal Cummings <halc@mazda.genauto.com>
Subject: Re: Front suspensions
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 15:42:08 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Hal Cummings wrote:

>      Hi folks!
>
>      I'm a new subscriber, and have enjoyed reading postings here for a
>      couple of days now.
>
>      I have a question concerning aligning front ends after a suspension
>      overhaul.
>
>      I restored my Midget (71 1275) including a complete teardown/rebuild.
>      This included all new front suspension components, excepting the rack,
>      collumn and steering wheel.  While reassembling the front suspension,
>      I put the rack in what I thought was dead center position, and set the
>      tie rod ends so that the front wheels were as close to parallel with
>      the rears (1/8" toe in) as I could measure.  This was done while the
>      car was still "off it's feet".

The front toe in is 1/8" but with the car on the ground and after a short ride,
do
not try to check it after letting it off the jack.front wheels straight, car on
ground, measure the distance between the outer most tire treads across the front
of the wheels as close to the center as possible. Now repeat this on the back
side
of the front wheels making sure you use exactly the same tire treads. The front
measurment should be 1/8" LESS then the rear measurment. This makes your front
wheels toed in 1/8 of an inch. It has nothing to do with their relation to the
rear wheels.
You can use a tape measure and a helper to hold the other end just be sure you
measure from the same outer most tire tread at both locations.

This "front end alignment" is close enough for Spridget work. I never wore out
tires doing it and have never had one to a front end shop.

Good luck

--
Frank Clarici
Too many Sprites