Re: Front suspensions

To: Hal Cummings <halc@mazda.genauto.com>
Subject: Re: Front suspensions
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:01:36 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hal,
why don't you get an alignment done, so you know what you are dealing
with.  What are the camber settings on each side, etc.  Could be that your
new A-arms are a little off.  You could fix this with offset supension
bushings.  On my car, camber is pretty different from side to side and I
know that racers in stock classes adjust their suspensions by juggling
stock parts.
Ulix

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Hal Cummings wrote:

>      Hi folks!
>
>      I'm a new subscriber, and have enjoyed reading postings here for a
>      couple of days now.
>
>      I have a question concerning aligning front ends after a suspension
>      overhaul.
>
>      I restored my Midget (71 1275) including a complete teardown/rebuild.
>      This included all new front suspension components, excepting the rack,
>      collumn and steering wheel.  While reassembling the front suspension,
>      I put the rack in what I thought was dead center position, and set the
>      tie rod ends so that the front wheels were as close to parallel with
>      the rears (1/8" toe in) as I could measure.  This was done while the
>      car was still "off it's feet".
>
>      After driving for about 5K miles now, I notice a measurable amount of
>      wear on the inside tracks of the front tires.
>
>      Is there a trick to this? Where this is the only adjustment on the
>      suspension geometry,  I had thought it simple enough not to bother
>      with an alignment shop.
>
>      I bought this car from the original owner, and it has never been hit
>      hard enough to leave any trace.  It has original sheetmetal throughout
>      and very little damage other than parking lot dings and battery acid
>      holes was evident after stripping the entire car to bare metal.  I
>      therefore do not think the chassis is bent.
>
>      Any advice cheerfully accepted!
>
>      Hal
>
>      halc@genauto.com

                                                           '67 Sprite