Re: Still leaking

To: Rick / Carolyn Walters <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Subject: Re: Still leaking
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:23:41 -0600
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, spritenut@Exit109.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Rick / Carolyn Walters wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> As you probablly know, that is the wonderful british designed
> Archameenease (sp?) pump on the back.  Unles you have installed the kit
> to update to a modern seal.  I've heard lots of problems with this part
> of the engine.  Have you followed the proceedure in pdljmpr for a leak
> proof engine?  If so try it again.

Actually, Frank Clarici wrote the biggest share of the tech tips on
PDLJMPR.  The leak-proof engine one I happened to write and I don't
think what I have there covers his particular problem.

....so Frank, from a former mechanic (but Sprite novice) to a Sprite
expert:

I think It must be that oil is failing to drain away properly from the
area between the rear main bearing and the scroll on the crankshaft for
some reason.  When the car is running the PCV/scroll keeps the oil in
the engine, but when you shut it off the oiling system drains down and
it accumulates there and leaks out.  Frank Ianucelli's 948 does this too
and he would also like to cure the problem.

When you get this figured out, let me know so I can ammend my tech tip.
If you give up (not likely), throw your rebuilt motor west towards
Michigan, instead of east into the Atlantic.

Les M