converting to neg earth, was Re: oil filter?

To: casoich@sgi.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: converting to neg earth, was Re: oil filter?
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:36:28 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Amy,

One thing about converting from + to - earth that I cannot find the answer
to is the effect on SU fuel pumps. In theory those pumps have a
polarity-sensitive diode (they sell one for - earth and one for + earth
anyway). So, you say, just reverse the wires leading into the pump. OK, but
does that make your pump move fuel the wrong direction? It may not, since
these are diaphram pumps. But, I don't know for sure. Does anyone on the
list?

OTOH, numerous people have made the conversion. I just don't know if they
have SU fuel pumps with diodes (they may have non-SU, after-market pumps or
they may have really old, original SU pumps that never had diodes to worry
about!)

Jeff

>Jeff,
>
> Well common consensus was that I should just convert my Sprite to negative
>ground. Everyone claims it's fairly easy. There are instructions for the
>conversion in one of the old issues on the PDLJMPR site. I haven't tried it
>yet though.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis