Re: Need immediate help!

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: Need immediate help!
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 12:56:19 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
David,

My 400 Ford mains plastiguaged at .003 on all five.  I stopped right there
and have obtained another crank.  .003 is out of spec and unacceptable to
me for a newly purchased reground crank.  It has kept my pickup in the
garage for over a month now on what I originally intended to be a weekend
project.

In your case, I would have the crank miked again - maybe it is slightly
worn on the center main journal, causing the extra clearance.  Can a
machinist measure any difference in the journal sizes?  If that's the case
I would put it in as it is, since you don't want to grind the hardness out
of the enb40 crank you have.  The other possibility is that if you had the
block line bored, it is possible the center bore is out of spec (if the
crank mikes within specifications).  Stuff to check and decide about.
Don't get in a hurry.

Les