Re: Bugeye with identity crisis

To: "DOUGLAS W. INGRAM" <dingram@tnet.net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye with identity crisis
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:43:06 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
DOUGLAS W. INGRAM wrote:

> Hi:
> I've subscribed to this list for a few months, but until now have not
> posted. I have, however, learned a great deal and thank you all for that!
>
> Last October I bought a 58 Bugeye from a local man who had done a (nearly)
> complete restoration. What's left to do is minor: installing all the chrome,
> lighting, choke, accelerator, tach, speedometer cables and a bit more. It
> was a great deal, the PO needed to sell as he was moving to another city,
> and he priced it for a fast sale. I was lucky enough to get there first. The
> car is beautiful (painted in BRG) and he did a quality job.
>
> Here's my problem: The car's registration shows a vehicle number of AN5L636,
> which if both the number and my understanding are correct would make this
> car No.135 off the line. Alas, the chassis number plate (on the left hand
> inner wheel arch) was removed by the PO (I assume) and not replaced after
> the car was painted. Ditto for the engine number plate (I assume it is a
> 948) and for the body number plate on the left hand front door pillar. I
> have gone through all the boxes of assorted bits and pieces that came with
> the car, but turned up nothing.
>
> A few questions:
>
>         - is there any way to verify the vehicle number?
>         - would it be reasonable to buy a blank plate and have it stamped
> with the number on the registration? On faith alone I believe it
> to be correct.
>         - would the gearbox and rear axle numbers help somehow?
>         - how can I be certain that this engine is a 948? Obviously someone
> could have swapped out the original engine over the years.
>         - should I be concerned about this identification problem, or just
> shut up and enjoy the car?
>
> Your thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Doug Ingram
> Victoria BC Canada

I would agree with George on this: using the serial number on the
registration obtain a heritage certificate showing the original build
specs and date of production of the car. Funny enough, I have AN5L612 or
the 111th car built. Remember that if your car really is number 636 it
will have a whole bunch of early features unique to those models. I
don't have time to list them all here but a few obvious ones are:

-does the car have a nine stud windshield?
-on your inner rear wheelarches, do you have two triangular
strengthening pieces welded in?
-is your coil held in bracket on top of the generator?
-are your wheel halves riveted together or welded together?

There are dozens of these little differences, I don't have time to list
them all here. Another tip, look for dates stamped onto pieces like your
coil (assuming it has not been replaced). A date is also stamped onto
your windshield wiper motor, which should have a domed cover instead of
the later flat cover.

May I also suggest you buy the Terry Horler book: Original Sprites and
Midgets.

This kind of homework makes some people roll their eyes but I like it.

Good luck and email me back if you need more help.

Daniel Thompson
AN5L612
HAN8L40474