Re: Tyre Sizes

To: spriteguy@juno.com
Subject: Re: Tyre Sizes
From: Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:05:54 -0600 (CST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
:
:IMO I would not use anything wider than 165s assuming the stock
:suspension is in good condition.  But if you want more rubber on the
:road, my experience has been that there is room for 185s.  Although I
:would recommend the use of a panhard bar  to locate the axle.  A panhard
:bar is fairly easy to make or will cost about $150 to buy.  I know of one
:individual using 175s, without a panhard bar who is experiencing slight
:rubbing when driving hard.

What would the locating points be for the bar?

:

I have 185/55R13 tires on my '79 Midget at the moment and they work just
fine.  The car sat in storage for a long time and it is badly in need of
bushes on the rear springs.  Because of this the handling is a bit
unpredictable, and because of that I haven't really driven it too hard.
On 3 occasions in the last month I have heard what sounded like the
tires rubbing somewhere but I haven't seen where yet.

--
Ron Madurski
rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com