Re: Distributor Points

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor Points
From: Stan Fickes <fickes@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:41:59 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I used Blue Streak points religiously in my Sprite for years -- they lasted
at least twice what the Lucas parts did.  Unfortunately, Economy Imports
switched away from Standard Motor Products, so I've been on Lucas since.
I'd go back in an instant!

While on the subject, I've been playing with the idea of making a device
that would spin the distributor (on the bench, of course) and provide the
dwell angle of each lobe, allowing quick and easy setting of the dwell off
the car.  I've become tired of R&R the distributor 3 or 4 times each time I
buy new points.  Is anyone else out there interested in such a thing?  sf

At 06:16 PM 2/19/98 PST, David Ramsey wrote:
>       I was shopping for parts for my 66 El Camino when I asked if they had a
set of points for my Bug-I.  I always buy Standard Motor Products Inc.
"Blue Streak" LubriPoints for the Chevy.  The guy in the parts store told
me that "Blue Streak" made points for my Bug-I. The part number is
LU-1617XP , has anyone else used these points?  Why didn't anybody tell me
before?  Local expert claims that LUCAS is the only brand to use.  The
contact surfaces on the "Blue Streak" points are twice the size of the
LUCAS points.  The Chevy uses a set every 30,000 miles, only been in the
Bug-I for about 2,000 miles, but seem to work fine.  I had to replace the
LUCAS points every 5,000 miles. No I don't work for "Blue Streak" just a
long time customer.
>                       Crash
Stan Fickes        Nothing is more rewarding than to watch
Software Engineer  someone who says it can't be done get
I-Cube, Inc.       interrupted by someone actually doing it.