Re: Back from Rally with John Sprinzel

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: Back from Rally with John Sprinzel
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:48:04 +1100
Cc: <team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thank you thank you. We certainly had a great time, but compared to the
honor of being declared thicko of the month, all else fades into
insignificance!

Actually, in all honesty the thicko award comes 2nd to a compliment from
the great man himself John Sprinzel. He came up to me at the end of the
second day of comp and said "You must be a hooligan driver to be going that
quickly without pace notes and with dodgy brakes".

He has a great sense of humour and is really easy to talk to. He is a wicked
teaser, pointing out to anyone who would listen that I was driving with a
50-60lb handicap whilst pointing to my belly!

He also signed my copy of  "Spritely years" with the line "To my very fast
and
GIGANTIC pal - Mike. John Sprinzel '98".

I am busy writing up something on the event and will get the photos done
today.
I'll send WST something for the TT web site!

I'm glad you'll be at Bathurst, I also plan to be there in either the bugeye
(as a Marque Sports car) or else a MKIV Sprite (as a Historic Sb car). It
will
be fantastic. Are you bringing your car or borrowing a car?

As for rotor wear, it was apparently because I did the event recce at road
legal speeds
that caused the huge rotor wear with those carbon/kevlar pads (I'm not sure
of the
brand - I bought them from Tom Colby at Speedwell). The pad and rotor wear
during
the event itself (at race speeds) was minimul compared to the recce. Despite
stages
that were exceptionally hard on brakes (16 km of downhill, with lots of 2nd
gear and 3rd
gear corners, all interspersed with 3rd/4th gear sweepers), I didn't have
any fade with
the carbon/kevlar pads. The standard pads I did the first day and a half on,
faded so
badly I practically had no brakes at the end of each stage. They also wore
out very
quickly!

Would anyone like to see a short special stage as an mpeg? 1:55 which was
the
fastest spridget time for a 2.48km stage which started in the streets and
went up
a pretty steep tight, windy uphill road? I had an in-camera mounted for most
of the
event. I had the IO port video camera mount I bought from minia mania a
couple
of years ago and a Canon Hi8 camera. Unfortunately on the bumpy stages the
picture broke up far too much to be useful. Add that to forgetting to press
the button,
flat battery, end of tape and madly  rushing to cure electrical problems, we
probably
only have 2 or three useful bits of video out of 19 special stages!

Mike