Turn signals

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Turn signals
From: TRIPPY <RTRIPLETT@FAB9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 98 04:26:59 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello,

My '74 Midget has a faulty turn-signal unit.  It works when actuated but will
not return to it's off position after the appropriate turn. It does appear to
try to return to the off position, as I can hear a slight click in the unit,
and ever so often it will disengage the blinker, but still not return the
blinker to its off position. I end up having to push it back to it's "home"
position and often end up forgetting that it is blinking away, which is
frustrating for me as well as other motorists.

My question is:  I haven't pulled the turn-signal unit off the stearing rack.
I read through the procedure in my Chilton's manual, but it doesn't go into the
best detail.  What should I be looking for here? Are there bushings within the
unit that cause it to return "home" after rotating the stearing wheel so much?
Should I just replace the unit (about 80$ for a new one from VB tho! yuk) I
would imagine that this is a common thing, and hope to hear any advice.

Thanks,
Richard

'74 Fire-engine-red Midget