re: front wheel bearings

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: front wheel bearings
From: Rich.A.Wagner@mcdermott.com
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 8:21:00 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Some responses to this topic mention eliminating the distance piece
when roller bearings are substituted for the ball bearings.  While
this allows for adjustment like most other cars, I appears to greatly
increase the stress on the stub axle - like by a factor of the square
of the ratio of the diameter of the distance piece to the diameter of
the stub axle or more ( my structural mechanics course was way too
long ago for me to remember the equation.... jeeze most of these cars
weren't even built then....)  Anyway, the WERACE roller bearing kit
instructions made a big deal of making sure you use the distance piece
to prevent axle breakage.
Rich Wagner
74 midget
90 miata