re: front wheel bearings

To: Rich.A.Wagner@mcdermott.com
Subject: re: front wheel bearings
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:26:52 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mini's use the same kind of front bearing setup, and the bearings and spacer
were sold as a matched kit - the spacer was touted as not interchangeable
between different pairs of bearings, let alone different manufacturers of
bearings.  Now, new bearings come with shoulders to replace the spacer, and
again are matched sets.  Key is to get the correct preload, and I have no
idea at all as to how to measure that for ball bearings.  I suspect that the
way to do it is to install the bearings, measure the distance between the
inner races under low load, and then make up a spacer one or two thousands
below that distance. And as Rich points out below, the spacer effectively
locks the inner races of the bearings together, transfering load from the
outer bearing to the inner, reducing the load on the outer part of the stub
axle.

Brian