Re: My .02 on Front Wheel Bearings

To: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: My .02 on Front Wheel Bearings
From: Dave Trainor <davet@choice.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 14:58:06 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>         Now back to the bearings, one person who claimed to take a mechanical
>engineering class believed that the spacer provides strength to the axle, but
>could not provide any proof of this theroy. If anyone can prove this, I would
>like to hear about it, so far no one has.  If you suspect your axles are
>"cracked" then have them tested , you may not be able to see the cracks. If
>you have big bucks then buy the steel axles for $500.  The TIMKEN "tapered
>cone roller bearings" work for me, they ar
>                         Crash

Dave, I was the guy that asked a group of mechanical engineers, I have
not taken any "classes". I work in system support for a company that
happens to design jet engines and asked one of the test engineers whose
computer I was patching at the time. I had to draw him a very rough
drawing to illustrate. I am waiting to be corrected by anyone on the
list but make no personal claims to being an engineer on anything but
computer networks. His response and another that got into the
conversation was that the spacer would not add any strength to the axle
and that the tapered bearings were a better choice.
Oh, no flame intended here, just clairfying myself in case someone else
thinks I am some sort of expert.

Dave Trainor