Re: My .02 on Front Wheel Bearings

To: "Richard L. Bergstrom" <ric_bergstrom@juno.com>
Subject: Re: My .02 on Front Wheel Bearings
From: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 98 11:05:50 PST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Ric,
        Yea, they are way out of line on the price of those steel axlesThe
minimaina add states "if you are using your car everyday on the street you
probably don't care" , well I don't need them.  I too have had problems with
minimaina, they sent me a used flywheel for a 948 that they said would have a
good ring gear, it didn't.  They did give me a discount on a new ring gear.
        I live in Reno not in Virginia, the place in Virginia was Motordead.  I
didn't want to name them but its not fair to other places that are located in
Virginia that I don't know or have experience with.  They do have a great
catalog, but the parts they sent me were either wrong or very poor quality.
        VB sent me the two "original" 1.5" in fuel lines for the 1 1/8"carbs
and four "original" hose clamps for $12.  The poorly cut 1/4" fuel lines did
have a paper tag that said "made in England" attached, their idea of
"oringinal" hose clamps is modern type band hose clamps, their add clearly
showed the "original" style clamps. The total cost of what they sent from local
store would be $2, you would have to buy 1ft of 1/4" fuel line and cut it
yourself.  If you used "child proof" toy scissors to cut the fuel line you
would have a hard time doing as bad a job as they did.  Could not return these
because they were "the right parts and would work" their story.
        Moss Motors will accept returns for any reason, I will get my order day
after tomorow if its shipped from the California warehouse, one week if from
back east.
        Now back to the bearings, one person who claimed to take a mechanical
engineering class believed that the spacer provides strength to the axle, but
could not provide any proof of this theroy. If anyone can prove this, I would
like to hear about it, so far no one has.  If you suspect your axles are
"cracked" then have them tested , you may not be able to see the cracks. If you
have big bucks then buy the steel axles for $500.  The TIMKEN "tapered cone
roller bearings" work for me, they are better than ball bearings and cheaper.
                        Crash