Re: Hot Bearings

To: chasdoug@gte.net
Subject: Re: Hot Bearings
From: Bkitterer <Bkitterer@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 01:43:12 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chas wrote
>My left front wheel bearing continues to overheat, even after completely
>rebuilding it with new bearings and using a higher temp grease.

>I'm afraid I'm only a weekend mechanic, and this has me baffled.

>After about 45 minutes of 40mph+- driving, the left front wheel starts
>squeaking -- really kind of a chirp -- with each revolution.  The brakes
>start squealing when stopping, also.  When I stop I can feel the warmth
>through the hub cap, and if I take that off, the grease cap is hot
>enough to burn and I can smell hot grease.

>I don't see how I could have messed up the bearing installation twice --
>it seems to have gone ok on the right side.  Could it be front end
>alignment?  Toe-in?  Brakes?

Sounds like a bad bearing, even if they are new.  Is this the first time out
with the car or was this just a replacement on a car that you had been
driving?  The alignment, toe-in do not effect the bearings.  If you have a
brake shoe (drums) or pad (disk) that is dragging then this will heat up the
hub but it should also be hard to drive the car and it should seriously pull
to that side.  So if that does not apply I would go for a new set of bearings
for that axle.  (I assume that you do have the spacer in between the bearings)

Bob and Ann
60 Sprite