Re: 1275 resurrection

To: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@attws.com>
Subject: Re: 1275 resurrection
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:10:47 +1000
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Question #1. Do I have to "prime" the oil system in any way?

Yes, using an oil can, keep feeding oil into the hole at the right rear
of the block. If you have an oil cooler, it is where the rearward fitting
is. If you don't, it is where the copper pipe goes from the oil filter
adapter to the block.

Be patient, it is a slow job.

> Question #2. How long will it have to turn over before I get any oil
>flow out of the pressure gauge fitting?

Take off the spake plugs and turn it over with the starter, given #1, it
should show
oil pressure with 5 - 10 secs. This is not a problem given generous use
of assembly lube.

> Question #3. When I rebuilt it, I filled the top end of the cylinder
>with oil to protect them while I got the car ready to except the
>                      engine.  Would it behoove me to flush these out
>with gas or diesel ? or just let it burn out?

When you say 'filled', I assume it was not very much oil!! In that case
don't worry about it.

If you think  it may be a problem, then leave the spark plugs off, put a
little petrol (teaspoon?) down each cylinder and turn the engine
over on the starter.

Do this outside with the bonnet up!

> Question #4  Does anyone have a Starter switch from a 948 ?

Can't help you on this one.

BTW, if you do have an oil cooler, flush it out with petrol (be generous)
and then flush with fresh engine oil. Make sure it and both hoses are
full before you start the engine (otherwise your oil pump has to fill the
cooler
and hoses before any oil gets to bearings etc)

Mike