Re: Soft top header rail installation

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Soft top header rail installation
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:49:48 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Philip ~
If the rivets are too long, then it takes a lot of pumping of the gun
before the rivet stem breaks.   The rivet length should be about an eighth
of an inch  (or a little longer) than the thickness of the materials you're
trying to rivet together.  You also want the rivet diameter to match the
size of the hole you're putting the rivet into.

When I put on my top, I decided to go with countersunk  self-tapping sheet
metal screws rather than rivets to attach the seal channel to the header
rail.   That makes it easier to remove the seal channel in the future if
necessary, and avoids having  all of those drilled-out rivet tails rattling
around inside the header rail.  Since you're putting these fasteners into a
blind area, there is no way to attach a nut on the screws.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain