Reverse Lamp - A different problem

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Reverse Lamp - A different problem
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:44:27 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Flush from the success of my query about soft top header rail installation,
I thought I'd try this one.  I am also having trouble with my reverse
lamps.  I've isolated the problem, but doesn't look like the two catalogs I
have (Moss and Vic Brit) carry my part.  My problem is with the unit that
holds the bulb (Lucas  L798).  Surprised me that this could be it, but the
other reverse light works and when I switch it to the non-functioning side,
it lights there too.  Using the offending unit on the side that works puts
me back into the dark...so it is definitely the bulb holder unit.
(Switched bulbs back and forth to make sure it wasn't just the bulb.)

The bad unit does look slightly more corroded, but it's certainly not a
mess and the minor corrosion doesn't seem to be around the contacts.  Is
there another way for these to fail?  Looks too simple a unit for even
Lucas, Demon Lord of Darkness, to see it go bad.

Any idea where I can buy a new one?  I'm going to Britfest '98 in Dover, NJ
this weekend so maybe at the auto jumble.

Thanks for any help.
Philip
'74 Burgundy Midget