Leaking Brake Master Cylinder

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Leaking Brake Master Cylinder
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:21:43 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks to all for recent responses on several subjects.  You can easily
detect the agony of this Bugeye rebuild - starting from a rolling chassis
and a box of dubious parts is NOT the way I'll ever do this type of work
again.

My latest problem (rate is one a day) is the brake master cylinder, which
is leaking.  I rebuilt it when I got it, just in case, and it looked
smooth-bored enough to do so.  It then sat happily in the garage for 2
months full of DOT4, and unused.  Then suddenly it starts to leak.  I can
only assume the new rubber piston is rotting, right - any other
possibilities?

If this is so (getting on my soapbox), it's preposterous that any new seal
fails to withstand ANY of the currently-sold brake fluids, especially since
they arrive in a nice corporate box without any fluidic guidance.

Anyway, I would be glad of any input anyone has.  Also, if anyone has a
nice NEW early-Bugeye brake/clutch master cylinder, I'm interested.

Thanks,