re: Oil cooler fit & cleaning

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: Oil cooler fit & cleaning
From: CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 98 23:19:26 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>>> Unfortunately, the oil cooler is usually *after* the oil filter...

  I'm not sure I completely follow the problem.
  Assuming a good quality oil filter, if it's plumbed upstream of the
cooler it should keep the ickybits from getting to the cooler in the
first place.  It it's plumbed downstream of the cooler it should keep
the ickybits from getting from the cooler back to the engine.
  Just do a thorough job of flushing the cooler in both directions and,
if it's a second-hand cooler you don't know the history of, be sure -you-
plumb a good filter downstream of it.
                                  Ed ??