Re: Painting and undercoating

To: GMari58175@aol.com, d0m6803@acs.tamu.edu, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Painting and undercoating
From: BRUCE48127@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:08:34 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-06-12 11:11:20 EDT, GMari58175@aol.com writes:

<<  2.My body guy suggested putting an undercoat in the boot area on top of
  fresh paint. Any thoughts?
 Why?  I assume your not refering to primer.  Originally the boot area was
 painted...well maybe.  Some cars had the underside of the boot lid primed and
 not painted, others had color on the underside of the boot lid.  In any case
 the boot floor area was painted color.  The boot floor area is covered with a
 jute backed hardura anyway, so why put an undercoating on it.  Wouldn't be
 original and most likely wouldn't do much in added protection.

  3.Any thoughts on undercoating in general? How was it done originally, and
  how should it be done now (if at all)? Pros/Cons
  Undercoating in the rear wheel wells was applied at the factory.  This is
the
 area of much abuse from the road demons.  Apply liberally so that heavy
orange
 peel is obvious.  Then apply color.   >>

Why would anyone want to put undercoating inside a vehicle?  Undercoating
belongs on the exterior.  While undercoating was used in places on these cars
when new, it is most often simulated now. This is done using a product such as
Chip Guard (to give it that heavy orange peel look that is found on the lower
portion of some new cars doors and/or rocker panels), then painting over it
(as was the original).  This type of product helps to prevent paint chips from
rocks etc. (it stays flexable but does not crack like undercoating) thereby
protecting the finish without covering it, or cracking and exposing the paint.

While a few people will chose to apply undercoating (a tar type product most
often applied over the paint).  I have found it has most often been applied by
PO's trying to hide rust.  I would not want to have to work on a car which has
been undercoated.

Bruce Gearns