RE: voodoo

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: voodoo
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:27:36 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Shawn -

Quite right.  Unless you've got money to burn, or access to a race shop
(often the same thing), big buck performance mods don't seem to pan out.

On the other hand, tinkering (within reason) with one variable at a time,
using the old-fashioned "seat of the pants" dynamometer is part of the fun
of the hobby (at least for some of us).  There are also sometimes practical
reasons for changes from stock.  Take my car for example.  Here's the
history of "performance" modifications and the reasons.

Summer of '96 - Crane XR-700 electronic ignition installed - Original Lucas
OPUS electronic unit croaked, Crane unit was readily available replacement
(original units made from unobtanium, Crane less $ than replacement dizzy).
Fall of '97 - Lucas Sport coil - Intermittent miss traced to faulty coil,
Sport coil was same $$$ as standard coil, so why not?
Winter of '97 - Exhaust header system - Exhaust leak traced to cracked
exhaust manifold.  Replacement manifold $260, Header $125.  Could afford to
have car running by Spring with header.
Spring of '98 - Free Flow Exhaust - Muffler rusted out, I'm running a
header anyway, about the same $$, so why not?  (Note: 3-5 MPG improvement
overall, engine seems to strain less on freeway.  Essentially a "free"
improvement.)
Summer of '98 - Tinkering with plug gaps and ignition timing -
Entertainment and educational value.
Summer of '98 - Eyeing alternative air cleaners. - Ever try to find an air
filter for a '75 - 79 Midget on short notice?

The way I see it, I'm just trying to maximize the fun/$ factor.  Thus far,
I'm keeping it above 1.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net