RE: Resale

To: "'VaN8v@aol.com'" <VaN8v@aol.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Resale
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:18:23 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sondra,

Unless your car needs very little work (not likely for a '67) and you can do
all the work yourself and the parts you need are all on sale real cheap,
and...  get the idea?

The typical rule of thumb is that professional restorations for the
"smaller" lbcs will rarely pay off, unless the car was very unique
originally, or has a special history.  A LeMans Sprite racer.... etc.

If you have a neighbor who does concours quality paint jobs for the cost of
the paint + $50, then you might have a chance.  Otherwise, don't be
surprised to spend somewhere between $1000 and $3000 for a quality paint
job, $1000-$2000 on refurbishing the drivetrain, another $500 for interior
(yes, the Sprites are better than most by being so simple), etc.  Then don't
forget things like new soft top, tires, wiring harness, rebuilt electricals
as needed, etc.

You can spend $4-6K (plus whatever the car cost you) to build a show quality
Sprite.  Take a look at what those cars are fetching in the marketplace, and
you can see how much you'll "lose".  If you look in the ads you may see
people trying to sell $10,000 Sprites (I've seen someone asking close to
that for a late Spitfire!), but asking isn't getting.  The sad fact is that
it costs about the same to restore a Sprite and a 3000 (roughly, not
exactly!), and you can see what the difference is in values once the work is
done.

You also have to consider what the satisfaction of having a clean correct
car is worth to you while you own it.  And how long you intend to hold onto
the car.

If ultimately money isn't the main issue, go for it and enjoy the results!

Jim