RE: REsale

To: "'Ulix Goettsch'" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: RE: REsale
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:38:26 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ulix,

The only flaw in your reasoning is.... could you have driven the Sprite the
same 100-150k miles in those 6 years?    If so, that's a fair comparison
(and I know people who do drive their lbcs as daily transport).

The main point is that the reason to fix/repair/restore one of these cars
should be to have the car to drive and enjoy.  You're not likely to become
rich restoring the square body cars, and even breaking even is a dicey
proposition.  If that's your goal (as a restorer) then you are just about
guaranteed to fail.

If you want to keep an interesting car looking (and running) good, as a way
to remind people when cars were simpler and still fun (and to enjoy for
yourself!!), then go for it.

I'm not trying to be negative or discourage people from putting up the time
and $$$ to fix up their cars.  It's just that I've known too many people who
overextended themselves trying to make their fortune off of our hobby, and
it doesn't do anyone any good.  I've run across cars where the owner has so
much invested that they'd rather let the car sit out and rust away to trash
than to accept their loss and move on.  As an enthusiast those are the
situations that just make me sick.

As a counterpoint, as the cars continue to age and disappear, parts sources
are again going to dry up for the early cars (as they did in the early 80s).
The cars being restored now have a better chance of being survivors in
another 20 or 30 years.  Sad though, eh?

Jim