RE: Timing the '72

To: "'chuckc@ibm.net'" <chuckc@ibm.net>, William Elliott <CN=William.Elliott/OU=Corporate/O=MEI#064#MMS%lngw@wtgw.corp.mei.com>
Subject: RE: Timing the '72
From: Jeff Zurschmeide <jzurschm@etec.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:27:39 -0700
Cc: Jeff Zurschmeide <jzurschm@etec.com>, IPM Return Requested <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chuck Ciaffone [SMTP:chuckc@ibm.net]
>
         > WHY?????

        Because the Gods favor you, Chuck. That's the
        real reason - the remainder is just our limited attempt
        to explain the phenomenon in empirical terms of the
        space-time continuum in which our physical selves exist.

        > What else must be wrong for the engine to run noticeably
better
        > with the spark advanced beyond book? Should I leave it there?

        Well, I wouldn't be too quick to use the term "wrong" in any
case.
        There are a number of possibilities. Like, you may have enough
slack
        in your cam timing chain or valve lash to affect overall cam
timing, which
        can affect lots of things a great deal.

        You might have low compression (relatively) or just really good
        gas in your area. OTOH, it could be that your dizzy isn't
advancing
        enough to cause pinging - if you take off the points plate and
look
        at the advance weights, they have their designed degrees of
total
        advance stamped in the top of the weights.  If your dizzy is
advancing
        properly and all else is well,  I'd follow the old maxim of "if
it
        ain't broke, don't fix it" and enjoy it.

        > AND .. with ABSOLUTELY NO PING ... AND WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING
        > AT THE SAME TEMP (according to the gauge)!!

        > HOWCUM?

        Van Morrison once said "It is not why, it just is."  ;^ )

        JZ