Re: Hardtops, wheels, tyres, etc.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hardtops, wheels, tyres, etc.
From: Hans Huber <hans@desmodromic.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 21:49:42 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

On Sat, 01 Aug 1998 17:28:28 EDT Martyn Ridley wrote:
> Sorry for so many questions on one note but I have come up against all
> these things at one time.
>
> Hardtops:     Who is J.C Witney and how to I reach him. (Re: surround seals
> for top)

JC Whitney is a mail-order house that's been around forever
(well, approximately).  They have some great deals and some
trash. you can order a catalog online at
http://www.jcwhitneyusa.com.

> Wheels:       Will 4.5 inch Spitfire (sorry purists) fit.  What is the offset
> difference?

Nope, sorry - spridget bolt circle is 4", Spit is 3-3/4".

> Ty(i)res:     What is the rolling diameter of a 5.20x13
??
>               What is the best metric match?
P155/80R13
>               Is there an Avon tyre that I can use.
>               Is there any other British tyre i could use? (than Dunlop)

If you want good handling, look for the numerically lowest
treadwear rating (poor treadwear ~= good traction).
None of the tire companies seem to make anything remotely
sticky in 155x13 anymore.  If you can find some Dunlop SP4s
or Pirelli P4s, don't buy them, whatever you do, but call me
and tell me where they are :-)

Good numbers are sub-200, everything now seems to be 300+.
If anybody knows of any skinny sticky tires still being
made, please share the wealth!  I've had to go to 175/70-13,
and there's not much left sticky there (Continental Contact
CH-90, treadwear 200, $44, Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com,
if anybody's interested)

> Hubs:         Are bolt on rear hubs available?
>               Why are post 74 (1500 engine) different in Vicky Bs catalogue?

I think what you're asking for here is bolt-on hubs to fit
wire wheel halfshafts.  If so, I've never heard of such a
thing.

The Vicky Brit catalog has the 1500 wire wheel hubs listed
separately, but the part numbers are the same.

> Axle:         Can the 3/8 inch difference in axle length be compensated
>               by not pushing the axle on the hub as far as opposed to not
>               going in to the diff. as much.

No, sorry - the outer end of the halfshaft has to mate with
hub/bearing assembly - I don't think you can fudge it.

> Thanks in advance, and thanks to all for replys to earlier Qs.

Good luck,
Hans "likes 'em sticky, likes 'em skinny" Huber