Re: Concours operation opinions wanted

To: kpdii@mindspring.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Concours operation opinions wanted
From: GMari58175@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 15:36:12 EDT
Cc: Editorgary@aol.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-08-07 11:34:47 EDT, kpdii@mindspring.com writes:

<< I have a question an wanted to get some untainted opinions on a situation
causing another clubs concours canceled, plus try to help prevent this from
happening in this community.

I went to the Corvair Convention in St. Louis last week, and the day of the
Concours was cancelled do to weather. The conditions were terrible: rain by
the buckets and a lot of lightning. It was deemed unsafe for both
competitors and judges. The site was a large parking lot with good ground
(lots of water) and lots of metal (the cars) to sustain lots of strikes.

Alternative sites were looked at, but either unavailable, or unaffordable
with such short notice.  And moving the date to later in the convention
would interfere with their rally, econorun, or autocross.  All of those
events plus the concours are components of their big award that everyone
considers the top honor for an owner to receive.

This literally is tearing that club (CORSA) apart right now.  I can
understand how someone would invest tens of thousands of dollars preparing a
car to become a 95+ car, only to have the one event a year that they have
recognition / confirmation of their achievement canceled.  Some particularly
irate people want the club to reimburse their travel expense (no one expects
that to happen though)
How do we (being the Healey/MG owners) handle situations like this in our
 concours judges?  Are there built in contingencies in the rules?  Has a
 situation like this ever happened on our LBCs?

Patton,
As a Sprite Judge for quite a few years and chief judge at one event, I could
add my two cents.  But want to defer to Gary Anderson Chairperson of the AH
Concours Committee and others more experienced for their input.

george marinos
sprite MKII AN6
glen rock, nj