Re: '74 Midget Reverse Lamp Switch continued

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: '74 Midget Reverse Lamp Switch continued
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 06:40:41 -0700
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Philip Hubbard wrote:

> When I disconnected the wires from those two spade terminals I got no
> reversing lights at all.  With them plugged in (and I checked connecting
> each wire to the other spade terminal) I got constant reverse lights in
> gears 1-4 and reverse and nothing in neutral.

This happened to me with an older Chrysler product once, and someone in an
auot parts store told me to spray the inside of the sensor with WD-40 (the
part was somewhat hollow, with the workings inside). This freed up the stuck,
inoperative parts of the switch, and it then worked  Perhaps this relates here
(and perhaps not....).

> The suggestion that this has something to do with the seatbelt switch makes
> sense to me as the seat belt warning should come on when the car is in
> gear, but not in neutral.  Only thing is - the lights worked correctly when
> I bought the car and then just went haywire after about a week of driving.
>
> Two possibilities.  I took the radio out of the car around this time if I
> recollect correctly.  Could I have disconnected soemthing I shouldn't have?

Not likely. But then, this is a BRITISH car...   ;-)

> Second, if the seat belt warning switch gave up the ghost would that cause
> my problem even though my behind sensors are disconnected?

Are you saying the lights come on with the reverse switch disconnected?

Scott Meyers
60 Bugeye