RE: Disappointment

To: "'hello39@idt.net'" <hello39@idt.net>, "AHSprite78@aol.com" <AHSprite78@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Disappointment
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 17:04:10 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Matt
As some on this list could confirm, I'm no mechanical wizard. I have to
solve most of my problems with pig-headedness rather than brilliance.

I have successfully performed the MITSUBISHI alternator conversion as
described on this list. (I don't know about Lucas, but an internally
regulated alternator is a rather generic item as long as you can get it to
fit and the belt lines up.) It took me a bit longer - I have to be careful,
lest I screw things up terribly. As Crash will confirm, there was a bit of
grinding off of the front mounting ear that wasn't in the initial
instructions. Other than that it was a matter of being methodical. When I
first put the thing in I had trouble finding a belt that fit - I went to
the local part-o-mat with my old one and said "never mind what it's for,  I
want it an inch longer than this one" (they're getting used to me.)
When nothing happened after I put it in, I checked every connection until I
found the loose (open) one.
When I gutted a dead voltage regulator to use for a junction box, I made
sure all my new internal connections had zero resistance on the Ohm meter
(Thanks Curt.)
I had to ask a couple of questions of the list in the process. I had to
admit I didn't know.  I had to put it in and take it back out again a few
times, I had to cut new threads in the alternator ear. I had to deal with a
few wires that weren't in my wiring diagram. ( I have an electric tach in a
car originally fitted with a mechanical one.)   In the end I got it to
work.

Admitting I don't know, or that I might have screwed up doesn't come easy
to me. It prevents me from learning as fast as I could.  If I was half as
good as Phil Hubbard at describing what I'm dong and asking for help, I
might even have learned a few things by now.   As it is, he's one amazing
example of where being open-minded and teachable can get you. Cursing the
instructions and throwing up your hands won't get you anywhere, obviously
it can be done, after all, it has been done.

What exactly went wrong?

Could you physically get the thing in there?
Did you by-pass the voltage reg. ( I assume you didn't gut it unless you
had a spare, or there would be no going back to a generator) Are you *sure*
of your connections?
Any evidence of DPO butchery in the wiring?
Would the car turn over but not run? would it do ANYTHING?
Was the ignition light on?
Do you know the alt. is any good? (it should turn over on the battery at
least if you hookup a dead alt though.)

Give us some info and maybe you'll get some solutions.

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget