Speedo cable broke!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Speedo cable broke!
From: dingram@tnet.net (Doug Ingram)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 21:20:20 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
My speedometer stopped working suddenly, diagnosis broken cable. Ordered and
received new cable (marked made in U.K., hope it's decent). Removed old
cable to find that it had actually broken in 2 places - one of which was
right at the connection to the gearbox. Now I can't get the piece of the
shaft out - it severed flush with the end of the threaded part, and I have
not been able to grab it with sufficient purchase to perform the extraction.
I've tried needle nosed pliers, vice grips, wire cutters, all to no avail.
An awkward spot to get at.

Could it somehow be frozen/stuck in there? Should I spray in some WD-40 to
try and loosen it up? Has anyone a magic answer/solution/hint/idea for me?

Thanks in advance,

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC
1958 Frogeye