Re: Low Oil Pressure

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Low Oil Pressure
From: Hans Huber <hans@desmodromic.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:08:37 -0600
Cc: "Jason Urban" <jurban@pond.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Crash said:
> when you first start a cold engine untill it warms up the gauge
> is showing when the valve opens.

I don't think this is true.  I think that with cold oil,
the oil pressure will rise above the relief valve release
pressure.  I seems most likely to me that the oil pressure
relief valve plunger is stuck or is not seating properly..
I'd pull the relief valve spring and plunger and take a look
down the bore at the seat, clean everything up, and try it
again..

Some people (Vizard mentions it in the bible) use an
appropriately-sized ball bearing instead of the plunger,
as the ball has less of a tendency to stick..
I tried this in the bugeye, but had to shorten the spring,
and then had a strange bounce around the relief pressure
when warm (at about 50 psi, vs, 75-80 psi cold, reinforcing
point #1, above)..

-Hans