Re: Countdown . . . Ignition

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, "John c Kahoon" <john.kahoon@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Countdown . . . Ignition
From: "Daryl and Jennifer May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:15:02 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The problem with my supposed 20 psi oil pressure became clearer when the
gauge read 20 psi after I turned off the engine.  Seems it stuck at 20 psi.
 I should have recognized a rock-solid reading as wrong when I saw it, but
I didn't.

Thanks for the help though. I'm putting 20W-50 in at the weekend.

Daryl

----------
> From: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
> To: John c Kahoon <john.kahoon@juno.com>
> Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Countdown .  .  . Ignition
> Date: Monday, September 07, 1998 8:52 AM
>
> I agree Castrol 20/50 GTX is the only motor oil I use in my sprites.  20
lbs of oil pressure sounds low to no matter what oil you are using. The way
I check for low oil pressure is first check the pressure valve, When you
first start the car cold the gauge should show where it is opening around
65 lbs in my cars.  Next I remove the valve cover and start the car when
warm.  You really should be able run it with the cover off and not have oil
being thrown all over the place.  If both of those check out ok then its
the rod & or main bearings. This is also in order of cost.
> (1) Replace pressure valve cup with ball bearing ala Vizard (I think its
5/16 or the same as a bearing out of a rear wheel bearing) around 10 cents.