Iris Blue vs. Speedwell Blue

To: "dthompson@gbc.ca" <dthompson@gbc.ca>, "'bthor@master.adams.com'" <bthor@master.adams.com>
Subject: Iris Blue vs. Speedwell Blue
From: Brian Thornton <bthor@master.adams.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 11:26:09 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel,

Speedwell Blue and Iris Blue are in fact two different colours.  This is a
very common misconception, Speedwell blue BMC Colour BU1 was offered up to
chassis number AN5L/9419.  Iris Blue BMC Colour BU12 commenced at chassis
number AN5L/9420.  If you consult your parts manual, you will note that the
part numbers for touch-up paints changed at this point.  Moreover, I have
an original door off a Speedwell Blue car.  I know this to be true because
the captive nuts that retain the side curtain thumb screws are 1/4" UNF
(like your car).  The screws were increased to 5/16" UNF at chassis number
AN5L/1606.  This precedes the change to Iris Blue.  I removed the original
blue door mat to uncover a much grayer shade of light blue (compared to
Iris Blue in my original factory Sprite paint chip book).  The two colours
are definitely different.