Oiling the steering rack.

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oiling the steering rack.
From: Andrew Griffith <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:39:11 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
        Greetings  Listers,

        I just received my new steering rack boots for my '62MK2, so prior
to installing them I thought I'd read up on the finer points of this rack,
via the Haynes Sprite & Midget manual. I was surprised to read that this
early rack requires 10 oz. of SAE 140 wt. gear oil, and even more surprised,
well I guess not, that the book doesn't mention how to get the blasted oil
in the rack. Upon studying the rack I can see a grease fitting on one end,
so am I correct to assume the there is some special tool out there in cyber
space that injects oil via a grease fittings? Or does the oil go in via the
damper pad caps?
        If the oil does go in via the grease fitting... what would happen if
someone pumps in a load of grease by mistake? Not that I did... just a
thought.

        For those of you here in California...
        The Autumn Classic British Sports Car Concourse & Tour will be this
Saturday, Oct.17th, at San Juan Bautista, Ca. This show is for
non-trailered, two-seater, '50's & '60's era cars only, and public viewing
starts at 10AM. For info please cal (831) 722-3253.

        See you there.

        -Drew

        andrew.griffith@readrite.com