Re: FW: Oiling the steering rack.

To: Andrew Griffith <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: FW: Oiling the steering rack.
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:40:03 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew,

This has been a thread often in the past. Some just use grease (it's
actually called for in leter models). I just unscrew the zerk fitting and
squirt oil in the hole. There is a marine-use hand-held oil gun that was
noted a while back. Here's what I have:

> No, this is not a tread on what lubricant to use, or should that be yes, this
> is not a thread on what lubricant to use.  Anyway wanted to pass on
> information about a neat grease gun for the steering rack.  Thanks go to Pete
> Sameroo who put me on to this at Sprite Rush.  This is a squeeze grip gun
>with
> a short (4 inch) flexible hose ending in a zerk nozzle.  The lubricant
>(90 wt)
> is in tubes and screws into the gun so it can be operated in any position
> without oil running all over the place.  Perfect for doing the steering rack.
> You should be able to get these guns and the tubes of lubricant from any boat
> supply.  The unit that I found is a LubriMatic Code No. 11138 and cost about
> $15.  They charge to much for the oil but once the tube is used up you
>can cut
> the sealed end off and fill it with your own oil, fold and clamp the end and
> it will work just fine.  Thanks Pete this was a great lead.
>
> Bob and Annice
> 1960 Sprite
---

> Here is a picture of such a gun and some info:
> http://www.vtr.org/maintain/trunnion-oil.html
>
> Ulix

Hope this helps,

Jeff

At 3:31 PM -0500 10/13/98, Andrew Griffith wrote:

> I think there's something up with the server... I sent this earlier and
> didn't get a copy back, so lets try this one more time.
>
> Greetings  Listers,
>
>       I just received my new steering rack boots for my '62MK2, so prior
> to installing them I thought I'd read up on the finer points of this rack,
> via the Haynes Sprite & Midget manual. I was surprised to read that this
> early rack requires 10 oz. of SAE 140 wt. gear oil, and even more surprised,
> well I guess not, that the book doesn't mention how to get the blasted oil
> in the rack. Upon studying the rack I can see a grease fitting on one end,
> so am I correct to assume the there is some special tool out there in cyber
> space that injects oil via a grease fittings? Or does the oil go in via the
> damper pad caps?
>       If the oil does go in via the grease fitting... what would happen if
> someone pumps in a load of grease by mistake? Not that I did... just a
> thought.
>
>       For those of you here in California...
>       The Autumn Classic British Sports Car Concourse & Tour will be this
> Saturday, Oct.17th, at San Juan Bautista, Ca. This show is for
> non-trailered, two-seater, '50's & '60's era cars only, and public viewing
> starts at 10AM. For info please cal (831) 722-3253.
>
>       See you there.
>
>       -Drew
>
>       andrew.griffith@readrite.com <mailto:andrew.griffith@readrite.com>

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD