Re: Values of our cars

To: dannyr@flint.umich.edu, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Values of our cars
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:56:18 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 10/16/98 11:44:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dannyr@flint.umich.edu writes:

<< This might or not be an interesting thread:  How is the value of our
 cars decided?  By an appraisal?  By how much we have in them?  By how
 much they mean to us?  This week I had my 74 appraised for insurance
 and was told my $2450 vehicle was worth $4500.  Which is close to
 what I have in it after a front end job.  But would I sell it for
 that?  What would you sell yours for?  And why?  Obviously, DIY is
 hard to put a value on, as is love.  But... >>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I started this same thread a few weeks ago and found that some owners really
believe that they can sell their cars at a "profit."  Most though, are very
content knowing that theirs is a labour of love.  It is not easy to justify
all the prev. maint. we are required to do when you can buy a 'muricun car
that doesn't need a tune up for 100,000 miles...unless you love what you do.

Remember that the VAST majority of people view cars as an appliance.  They
could care less about the character of their car, probably because they have
never been exposed to any car that had any character.

The actual value of our LBCs is determined by the market and the condition of
the car.  If you absolutely have to have a 1967 BRG Sprite, you will probably
pay a little more for it than someone who is looking for a big Healey but
found the '67 first.

A plea for some revolt - Don't let the appraisers get a foothold in setting a
value for these cars.  Forget the books, go with what you think it's worth.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport