Re: Finally

To: mayfam@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: Finally
From: pasgeirsson@juno.com (Paul A Asgeirsson)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 01:17:10 EDT
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daryl Wrote:

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 19:44:18 -0700 "Daryl and Jennifer May"
<mayfam@sprynet.com> writes:
>Finally got the Bugeye out on the road after a 2 -year rebuild.  Still
>not
>finished (furnishings and paint required, plus windshield to be
>installed),
>BUT SHE IS A REAL GOER, WITH A NICE THROATY ROAR AND TIGHT STEERING.
>great feeling.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1.  Anyone know what speed I am doing when my Datsun tranny speedo
>cable
>indicates 30 mph on the Healey speedo?

To figure the speedo error, you can do this.  On the face of your speedo,
usually located close to the top of the odometer, are some numbers.  They
would be something like SN5226/06  1347.  The last four digits are the
speedo cable count per mile for the original rear axle ratio and tire
size.  The Brits were out of step with the rest of the world on speedo
gearing back then and geared the speedo head for whatever cable count the
car had.  Now all are standard at 1000 per mile, as is the Datsun trans
setup with its original rear end gearing and tire size.  They got the
1000 per mile by transmission cable gearing.

To get a cable count per mile with the Datsun gearbox, do this.  Mark off
in the driveway this distance; 52 feet 9 inches.  Now pull the speedo
head and unscrew the cable  from it.  Put a piece of tape over the square
end of the cable to act as a flag so you can count the revolutions.  Now
move the car EXACTLY the 52 feet 9 inch distance, counting the cable rev
as you go.  Count also the partial turns as you get to the end of this
distance.  A helper is nice to have on this job. Try to be as accurate as
possible on the distance.  The cable count you get will likely be about
10 and 3/4, or close.  Multiply this by 100 and you now have the cable
count per mile.  (52 feet 9 inches = 1/100 on a mile)  Now divide the
figures from the speedo face by this new figure.  The result is what you
now should multiply any speedo reading with to get the correct MPH.  A
simpler way is to send your speedo head to a good Brit speedo shop with
this new impiracal  count and have them regear and rebuild the speedo as
needed.  Usually about $100 or so.  I have a shop that does it routinely
for me and they come back just beautiful.

>2.  The hood is not a good fit on the left side of the car.  Some sort
>of
>accident has bowed it up in the area just behind the wheel about an
>inch
>and a bit, and so it is also a little forward at its rear end down low
>(in
>front of the door pillar).  What it needs is to be pushed down over
>the
>left front wheel, and then it should nicely follow the body contour.
>Anyone done this before and can advise the best way?  I figure I need
>take the hood off the car, support it front and back on wood blocks,
>and
>then load it in some way in the place described.
>
>Daryl

Paul Asgeirsson
Morriservice

503-978-3998
PAsgeirsson@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]