a Very Sad thing

To: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: a Very Sad thing
From: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:17:22 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Yesterday, when I was driving southbound on I-35W in South Minneapolis,
I was passed by two State Troopers in the fast lane with lights flashing
and sirens blaring.  About a mile ahead, I saw traffic begin to slow and
then stop dead.  I moved to the right lane, and exited the freeway.

After completing some work, about 10 minutes later, I joined the freeway
Northbound this time, but south of where I had exited, after only a 1/2
mile, traffic northbound ground to a slow crawl.  Then I saw what was
causing the problems.  There, in the opposite (Southbound) lanes was
what had created the snarlup and which had sent the troopers past me
just minutes before.

I saw something that brought (literally) a small tear to my eyes.  A
fully-restored, gorgeous late-60's Jaguar E-type burgundy coupe had
rear-ended a delivery truck, and the beautiful and sensuous snout and
bonnett had been reduced to an accordian of crumpled metal and chrome.
The driver, was sitting alone in the remains of his formerly
elegant machine, obviously utterly heartbroken, staring at the road in
front of him while a trooper motioned traffic around him to the left.
Obviously he was still in shock as any of us would be.

Let's be careful out there.  Please!  I don't want to see anything like
that again.  The image of it is still indelibly imprinted in my mind.

Granted, I don't place the value of a human life or limb over the value
of a fine automobile.  But for a british car owner, restorer, and
affecionado like myself and all of us; that has got to be one of the
most disturbing sights I think I have seen on a freeway.

I'll say it again....*PLEASE*  LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!!!!

Haunted,  Curt

--
Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty")