Re: Re: tops (bonnets)

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re: tops (bonnets)
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:44:51 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Finding a hood for our 60 Sprite was probably the most fustrating item in
getting the car back on the road.  We started with J.C. Whitney's mid priced
top, do not know who builds the top for them.  It was a good quality top but
did not fit the car, over two inches short of reaching the windshield with the
bows compressed, so it went back.  Then we ordered a top from one of the big
LBC suppliers and the top was made by Robbins.  This was a great top,
excellent quality and craftsmanship but it had the same problem.  The supplier
and Robbins work with us for about ten months (part of the time our car was
not available for fitting) and three tops later still did not have one that
worked.  Robbins really bent over backwards in building the tops but for what
ever reason never got one to come out right.  These folks have been building
tops for these cars since at least the late 50's so have no explanation as to
why the tops did not fit.  We use to get tops from a company called MG Mitten
which always worked; Robbins claims to have built their tops from the same
patterns, its a great mystery.  The last time I talked with them they were
considering stopping production on at least the MkI tops.  We finally gave up
and started looking else where.  Our understanding is that AMCO has also
stopped production of MkI tops, do not now about later models.  We got one of
the last units built and a great deal was lacking in the quality.  The top
material had not been removed from one of the windows and it to would not fit.
By now it was getting time to leave for Sprite Rush so we broke down. paid to
much and had a top shop build a serviceable top.  It is strictly a foul
weather top and we would never have it erected for a show.  Frank -- find that
source. :-)

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)

<<Yes, let's discuss this!
I have a fairly new Crown top.  I think this might be the cheapest brand
out there.  It doesn't fit very well.  The rear area, window etc. is not
tight.  Worse, it fits badly around the side windows, allowing drafts.
I looked at two other Spridget tops yesterday and they both fit well
around the side windows.
What brands are there anyway?
- AMCO
- Robbins