RE: Head & manifold removal, 77 Midget

To: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Head & manifold removal, 77 Midget
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:31:55 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The "rope trick" works >great< if you can get a wrench cleanly on the crank
nut.  Might be tough to do on a 1500, though.  It's nigh on impossible to
access the crank pulley nut.  You can turn it over with a wrench on the
alternator pulley, but not against any kind of compression.

In a real pinch, I've been known to put the head studs/nuts back on with
about 1/8" play, put the rocker shaft back on, put the spark plugs back in,
disconnect the positive lead on the coil, and turn it over on the starter.
 The compression on successive cylinders does a good job of breaking the
bond.  A couple of turns and the head starts "chuffing".  Remove all the
stuff you put back on and lift (using periodic dead-blow mallet thumps if
it exhibits stiction to the studs).

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net