Re: Head & manifold removal, 77 Midget

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Head & manifold removal, 77 Midget
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:22:39 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
William M. Gilroy wrote:

> This should be a simple task.  I need to get the head off my
> 77 Midget.  I have several shop manuals and one says to leave
> the manifolds on, and one says to remove them.  Here is what I
> did.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I am going to try feeding some
soft cotton rope into the cylinder and turing it over by hand.  I
should have enough room to fit a wrench on the crank with the radiator
and water pump out.  I should be able to squeeze past the steering
rack.    I won't get to this till this Sunday but I will let you
know what happened.

On another note I was going to rebuild my front end this winter.
New/rebuilt shock, bushing, kingpins, rack boots, etc.  But I am going to
do
it now.  Since I have removed all of that stuff, head, manifolds,
radiator, water pump, I have gobs of room to work in the engine
compartment.  Can't think of a reason to wait on the rebuild.  Of
course those questions are for another time and thread.  You have been
warned. :-)

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
wmgilroy@lucent.com