RE: Autox Sprite Handling Questions

To: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Subject: RE: Autox Sprite Handling Questions
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:09:20 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Jackson Zimmermann wrote:

> Where did you get your 340 lbs. springs?  What do you think of the
> quality?

I got them from Moss through George Merryweather.  I would shop around, a
lot of places sell these, and you might find a better deal.
My car was level with the original springs but leaned with the 340#
springs.  I had to shim the spring pan on one side.  Make sure you compare
the spring height before installation.
With the lower 165/65 tires, the car is pretty low and more prone to
bottoming out the exhaust.  But it looks good :-)  It won't be as bad for
you with the 185/60s.

> I love the axle strap idea.  However, I wonder if removing the axle
> straps would potentially cause damage to the floorboards or to the
> driveshaft.  Those axle straps are the only thing that limit movement of
> the driveshaft to keep it from hitting the floorboards and some of the
> roads, particularly on the way to Summit Point, have short flying
> leaps...

I agree.  You could check how long the strap really has to be before bad
things start to happen and then install a longer one.  There must be some
racers who have done this sort of thing.  Anyway, it was just an idea.

I like the Libre wheels.  Now I know what mods are required to fit them.

                                                           '67 Sprite