Re: Autox Sprite Handling Questions

To: JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us, Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Autox Sprite Handling Questions
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 16:19:48 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Jackson,

I am not really a  suspension expert but would expect that the more you can do
drop the weight of the car and lower the ride height will always be steps in
the right direction for any handling improvement.

Forget about the rear sway bar unless you only ever want to fit it for autox -
it will increase oversteer considerably.  The idea according to Fred Puhn is
to allow the oversteer (of which there will be lots) to flick the car through
a slalom.

There are various ways to get a lot (2, 3+) degrees of negative camber into
the front suspension - give Speedwell a call and ask for Tom Colby.

I am not aware that lifting a wheel with a Quaife will trash it, can you tell
me where you heard about this please?

When you get the rear wheel lift on sharp right turns how fast are you going?
Is a handbrake turn (parking brake) an option?

Stiffening a 3/4 bar with Delrin bushs is probably much the same as fitting a
7/8 bar and is probably more than you need.  Fitting stiffer front springs
will increase roll stiffness in a different way to fitting an anti roll bar so
again is not what you need.

Lifting a rear wheel in a Spridget is not unusual in circuit racing in this
country.  Racers I speak to suggest that a clutch pack or cam & pawl diff are
better than the Quaife but are nothing like as long lifed and not as good for
that reason alone on a road car - though I suppose it depends on the sort of
mileage you run up.

Daniel